What is a brooder heat lamp? Do you really need one? Are they dangerous? Don’t worry, we are going to cover everything you need to know about this aspect of raising chicks and give you the information you need to raise healthy chicks.
Pin for later!
What Is A Brooder Heat Lamp?
A brooder heat lamp (also called a chick heat lamp) is a lamp that is used in a chick brooder to keep baby chicks, ducks, or other poultry and waterfowl warm when they are small. Some people use special heat light bulbs in their brooder heat lamp while others use regular (non LED) light bulbs.
Why Do You Need A Chick Heat Lamp?
Chicks especially need to be nice and warm when they are small and are susceptible to cold temperatures and drafts. Keeping a chick heat lamp in your brooder helps to ensure that you are raising happy, healthy birds. New to keeping chicks? Here’s how to take care of chicks.
Will Chickens Die Without A Brooder Heat Lamp
A full-grown chicken typically will not need a heat lamp, however, chicks are a different story. Chicks need to be in a warm brooder with a source of heat to keep them happy and healthy.
Where Can You Buy A Brooder Heat Lamp?
The Dangers Of Using A Brooder Heat Lamp
If you’ve been around chicken people for any amount of time you’ve probably heard someone say not to use brooder heat lamps in your brooder. But why should you or shouldn’t you use a chick heat lamp in your brooder?
Heat Lamp For Chickens Burning
There have been tons of stories about a heat lamp falling and starting a fire. Because heat lamps can easily come unattached from the clamp holding them up they are prone to starting fires. They are also easily knocked down or into a flammable object. If you do choose to use a brooder heat lamp make sure you are attaching it securely (you may what to use several methods for securing your light to ensure that one way doesn’t fail) and high enough that it won’t burn any bedding or chicks in your brooder.
Alternatives For Brooder Heat Lamps
If a brooder heat lamp just isn’t right for you, there are other options that you can use. Don’t feel like a heat lamp is the only option for your brooder.
An ecoglow brooder is a wonderful alternative to normal heat lamps for chickens, that is much safer to use.
- Ecoglow brooders radiate-heat underside for producing uniform temperature, they also minimize power consumption and don’t run the risk of fire like brooder heat lights.
- You can easily adjust the height settings on an ecoglow brooder for accommodating various chick sizes.
- Ecoglow brooders are durable and easy to clean.
- With ecoglow brooders there is no disturbing light.
Another wonderful chick heat lamp alternative is a ceramic heat element, my friend Michelle from Butterfly Mourn Farm actually introduced me to this method of providing heat for my brooder and I am a huge fan. You just use the ceramic heat element in the brooder lamp instead of a heat lamp bulb.
- A ceramic heat emitter is a radiant heat source that creates natural sunlike heat with a uniform pattern.
- A ceramic heat element doesn’t give off light which won’t disturb your bird’s natural day/night rhythm.
- A ceramic heat emitter will also increase the ambient air temperature in your brooder.
- You will still need to be careful it doesn’t fall on your chicks or into the bedding.
- Use a porcelain socket with this ceramic heat emitter, other sockets can’t handle the heat it puts out.
Chick Heat Pad
Another excellent option is a chick heat pad:
- A heated pad for chickens can be used indoors or outdoors.
- It can be mounted vertically or horizontally in your brooder.
- They are low power consumption, 25 watts plus no bulbs or lamps to replace.
Have a question about a brooder heat lamp? Drop it in the comments and we will do our best to answer them!
Before you go, check these out!