Canning Peaches At Home
Do Peaches Need To Be Pressure Canned?
How Do You Prepare The Peaches Before You Can Them?
Do You Have To Blanch Peaches Before Canning?
How Many Peaches Are In 25 Pounds?
What Are The Best Peaches For Canning?
How Soon Can I Eat Canned Peaches?
What you will need for canning peaches
For canning peaches you will need a few things, not everything on this list is absolutely necessary however they do make the project easier and more comfortable:
- Water bath canner or steam canner
- Quart Canning Jars
- Rings and Canning Jar Lids
- Vegetable Peeler
- Large Bowl or bucket to hold your peels and peach pits
- Large Pot to put your peeled peaches in
- Citric Acid or Vitamin C to put in the water to hold your peeled peaches
- Hot Pan Holders
- An Apron
- Nice Padded Rug To Stand On
- Sauce Pan To Warm Juice
- Handled Jar grabber to put jars in and take them out of the canner
- Debubbling wand or a wooden spoon handle to remove bubbles from jars before placing lids on them.
- Labels for canning jars
Recipe For Canning Peaches
Canning peaches is a wonderful way to preserve seasonal fruit to enjoy later, especially if you growing your own fruit. This recipe for canning peaches is very simple and easy and allows you to use them in a variety of ways including on ice cream, yogurt, peach milkshakes, and peach crisp.
- White Grape Juice chooses one with no added sugar or other questionable additives.
- 2-3 lbs Peaches per quart you wish to can.
- Citric Acid or Vitamin C for the water you place the peeled peaches in
Canning Peaches In A Boiling Water Canner
Steam Canning Peaches
REFER TO YOUR STEAM CANNER FOR INSTRUCTIONS FOR YOUR CANNER.
Make sure the bottom of your steam canner has at least 3 quarts of water in it.
Pack the jars with peaches leaving 1/2 inch space at the top. Then fill the jars with juice as above leaving 1/2 inch headspace up at the top of the jar
Wipe down the rims of the jar with a clean lint-free cloth or paper towel and place the 2 piece lids on your jars and tighten them to just finger tight. Don’t over-tighten because the air needs to get out.
Place jars into your steam canner.
Place the lid on top of the steam canner.
When you see steam coming out of the top out of your canner then start timing for 25 minutes for quarts.
When the timer goes off let the canner rest for 10 minutes.
Remove hot jars with the bottle lifter / Jar tongs onto a flat surface like the countertop with several layers of folded towels to protect the surface.
Leave a space between each jar. Let cool for 24 hours without disturbing
Label jars with date and what it is and store them in a cool, dark place. These peaches will last over a year if stored properly
Trouble Shooting Canning Peaches
Why Are My Peaches Turning Brown?
Why Are My Peaches Floating In The Jar?
When canning peaches, this sometimes happens if you underfill your jars. Next time put more pieces of peach in your jars and make sure that your peaches are firm and ripe.
Print Canning Peaches Recipe
- White Grape Juice
- 2-3 lbs Peaches per quart jar
Citric Acid or Vitamin C for the water you place the peeled peaches in
Wash, peel, and slice peaches into a large pan filled with water and 1 tsp per cup of water of citric acid or 3000 mg. per cup of water of vitamin C. This will keep your peaches from turning brown while you are working.
Place the finished peaches in the heated juice long enough to warm them.
Ladle warm peaches & juice into warm jars leaving 1/2" headspace.
Using the handle of a long wooden spoon slide the handle down the inside of the jar and press the peaches to the center of the jar so all the air bubbles can escape.
Wipe the rim of the jar with a clean cloth.
Place the lid on top and screw down the ring.
Place in a boiling water canner, processes pints 20 minutes and quarts (pictured above for 25 minutes
Before you go check out these other preserving and canning recipes:
- 11 Must-Have Canning Supplies
- Reusable Canning Lids: Tattler Lids Review
- 7 Of The Best Preserving Pears Recipes
- Blueberry Preserves
- Delicious Blackberry Preserves
- Apple Orange Preserves
- Cherry Pie Filling
- Food Preservation | 10 Best Ways Of Preserving Food At Home