When life is overwhelming, and you are enveloped in chaos how do you cling to your faith and find peace in the storm? Finding peace in chaos that is clamoring for our focus is so important. Resting in that peace when it feels like our lives and dreams are swirling the drain is vital.
Pin for later!
This post contains affiliate links
Finding Peace In Chaos
Finding peace in chaos is vital for believers, it keeps us grounded when life is overwhelming- but it’s so easy to lose our grip on that when we are looking for peace in the wrong places.
What Is Peace?
Before we dive into the how and where of finding peace in chaos, I want to define what peace is. What Peace in the Bible means. So often I think that we have a worldly concept of what peace is, so we find it hard to comprehend finding peace in the chaos we are walking through.
The Hebrew word for peace is šālôm, this word means totality, completeness, fulfillment, wholeness, harmony, security, well being, and even success. Biblical peace in its fullness is only made possible through Christ because He is the giver. Maybe the best illustration of peace or shalom in the Old Testament is the cosmic order ordained by Christ through creation and established with God’s people with the covenant.
Where To Find Peace In The Chaos That Surrounds You
As a Christian, we can find peace even when our world is chaotic because we know the one who gives perfect peace. We can find peace even in the midst of the strongest storms in Him, does that mean that we won’t be going through the storm? No, it means that even while the storm rages it can not steal our peace, because God is over any storm we walkthrough.
Finding peace in chaos is only possible through Christ. Without Him we will be lost in the noise and the drama and the pain that we are experiencing.
How To Find Peace In Christ
It’s easy to talk about finding peace in chaos, but how do you actually find it?
- Check your focus – yes we need to be aware of what is going on around us, but we also need to ensure that we are absorbing the same amount -if not more- of God’s word. When life is overwhelming it’s more important than ever before to tuck back into God and not get disconnected. Some resources to help you adjust your focus:
- Prayer – I’ve found no better way of finding peace in chaos, then bringing the issue to my heavenly father the creator of the universe. Whatever is trying to steal your peace bring it to the cross and nail it there for God to deal with. Some resources to help you pray:
- Worship & Praise – Another great way of finding peace in chaos is praise. It shifts your attention from the chaos to the author of your peace. Find a quiet place, turn on some worship music, and sing or find a quiet place and just thank Him for what He has done (even if you haven’t seen it yet). Resources to help you with worship and praise:
Bible Verses About Finding Peace In Chaos
As Christians, our peace needs to be firmly rooted in Christ. God’s peace surpasses the worlds and doesn’t fail us in the midst of the chaos. Here are some of our favorite bible verses about finding peace in the chaos of the storm:
- Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Colossians 3:15 NLT
- They must turn from evil and do good; they must seek peace and pursue it. 1 Peter 3:11
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7
- Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. Romans 14:19
- Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it. Psalm 34:14
Consider the blameless, observe the upright; a future awaits those who seek peace. Psalm 37:37
I will listen to what God the LORD says; he promises peace to his people, his faithful servants— but let them not turn to folly. Psalm 85:8
Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord. On the contrary: “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:17-21
- Great peace have those who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble. Psalm 119:165
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:7
The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace. Psalm 29:11
You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you. Isaiah 26:3
Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness. James 3:18
LORD, you establish peace for us; all that we have accomplished you have done for us. Isaiah 26:12
- Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,” says the LORD, who has compassion on you. Isaiah 54:10
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
- Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27
- Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7
How To Hang On To Your Peace When Life Is Hard
Finding peace in chaos, and how to hold on to it are found in the same place. Our savior, the deeper we press into Him, the more we bring the things that are trying to steal our peace and lay them at God’s feet the greater our grip on the peace He gives will be.
Before you go, check these out!
- Hearing God’s Voice In The Chaos
- Holding On To God When Life Brings Us To Our Knees
- God In The Storm – 6 Powerful Ways To Trust God When The Flood Waters Rise
- Trust God Even When The Bottom Falls Out Again