This recipe is for lactation cookies also known as a Galactagogue Cookies. The recipe is just delicious to start off with but to those nursing mommies out there it is said that these great lactation cookies help to increase your milk production when you eat them (please don’t eat the entire batch at one time, not good). Seriously these are really yummy cookies and we love to make them when we have company too. It is not just for lactating moms who want to increase their breast milk but for everyone. I hope you give them a try. I think you will agree they are good stuff.
Do Lactation Cookies Actually Work?
Yes, according to Health Magazine, they contain galactagogues which are substances in herbs and food that promote lactation.
How Do Lactation Cookies Work?
They contain foods with ingredients that naturally support breast milk production. Things like oats that contain saponins that may increase prolactin, flax that has omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids which are essential for breast milk, and brewers yeast which has b vitamins, chromium, and selenium.
How Long Do Lactation Cookies Take To Work?
From what our readers have said 3-4 days. They ate them in conjunction to regular breastfeeding, pumping, and taking steps to lower their stress.
What If I Don’t Have Organic Ingredients?
Use what you have at a measure for measure or 1.1 ratio.
Can I Make These Gluten-Free?
We have never tried it but yes, substitute the flour for Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Fee All -Purpose Flour at a 1.1 ratio ( for instance 1 cup of Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten-Free flour for 1 cup of regular flour.
What you will need for these Lactation Cookies
- Mixing Bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- Cookie Sheet
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Cute Apron
- Hot Pan Holders
Lactation Cookie Recipe
Preheat oven to 350°F
Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
In another bowl, beat peanut butter (or nut butter of your choice, you can also use sunflower butter), butter, sugar, vanilla, brewer’s yeast, flax, and water until creamy.
Mix in eggs. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Mix in nuts and chocolate chips. Add oats slowly, mixing along the way.
Place balls of dough onto greased baking sheets or baking stones. Press down each ball lightly with a fork.
Bake 12 minutes. Allow to cool. And enjoy!
Print Lactation Cookies Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups Organic Flour
- 1 3/4 cup Organic Oats
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Pink Himalayan Salt
- 3/4 cup Organic Peanut Butter (almond butter or sunflower butter)
- 1/2 cup Grass Fed Butter (softened)
- 1 cup Organic Ground Flaxseed
- 3 tablespoon Brewer's Yeast
- 1/3 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Organic Cinnamon
- 1 cup Raw Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Organic Vanilla
- 2 large Organic Free Range Eggs
- 2 cup Organic Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts of your choice
- Organic Chia Seeds to taste - optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
- In another bowl, beat peanut butter (or nut butter of your choice, you can also use sunflower butter), butter, sugar, vanilla, brewer's yeast, flax, and water until creamy.
- Mix in eggs. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Mix in nuts and chocolate chips. Add oats slowly, mixing along the way.
- Place balls of dough onto greased baking sheets or baking stones. Press down each ball lightly with a fork.
- Bake 12 minutes, allow to cool, and enjoy!