We’ve all been there, caught in the storm watching the floodwaters rise and wondering how we got here. Where is God in the storm? When my arms are weary and my soul is battered when life stole from me and left me breathless with its brutality.
It’s here, in the midst of the storm when the floodwaters are rising threatening to drowned us that we must decide if we will allow God to use this storm. Or allow it to shatter our faith and drive us away from God. In the midst of the heartache, it can be so easy to allow the storm to make us bitter, to let it drive us away from everything God has planned for our lives.
When it comes down to it, this is a choice we have to make. It can be a tool to refine, shape, and one day God will redeem this broken place. Or it can sweep in like a tornado and destroy everything in its path.
Pin for later!
This article contains affiliate links
He Is God In The Storm
It may feel like you are all alone in this place. Like no one sees and no one cares but I promise you something. Even in the storm, at the darkest moment of your life when you are hanging on by a thread, He is God in the storm. And because He’s still God in the storm:
- You can not be lost to Him.
- Even in the storm, you are held in the palm of His hand.
- He saw this storm before it ever reached you, and has already worked out the provision you’ll need to get you through.
- He will see you through.
- You are His child, and nothing can snatch you from His hands.
- God is worthy of your trust.
Trusting God In The Midst Of The Storm
It can feel impossible to trust God when you are in the midst of the storm that He knew was coming but did nothing to save us from. But what is so hard to see at this moment, from our perspective is why we had to endure the storm. Trust me I have been through my share of storms, and spent many nights sobbing into my pillow asking God why and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt there is always, always a reason.
Some of the biggest storms I’ve experienced have become platforms for God to show up big. And pour all of His grace, mercy, and love into the life of another storm battered soul. Sometimes we have to go through the storm so that it strips away everything that we are relying on so that we can meet the one who is God in the storm.
Want to go deeper? Grab our God In The Storm Bible Study!
How To Trust God In The Storm
Even knowing that He is God in the storm isn’t always enough in the face of the storm and so we find doubts creeping in. How do you trust God in the storm?
- Pour your heart out to your heavenly Father. He already knows what your feeling and the thoughts in your head so begin speaking it. It’s ok to be angry, to hurt, and to ask questions. As long as these things don’t sprout into roots of bitterness that will keep us from God.
- Remember that God hears and answers every prayer, not on our timetable but His, and not always with the answer we want to hear.
- Pray, spend time in your Bible and begin praying using the verses. (A great resource on prayer would be Fervent, and A Beginner’s Guide to Fast and Pray from our friend Tiffany from Hope & Joy In Christ)
- Surrender it to God– the storms we face are far too heavy and large for us to deal with on our own, but we were never meant to. Take the burden and lay them at His feet.
- Focus on God, and that His plan is perfect, and in the end meant for our good. Even when it doesn’t feel like it now.
- Act as if you do- even if you don’t feel it, even when you have questions. Continue to pray, to seek Him, to spend quiet moments in your Bible. Get connected to your church. Allow Him to fill you in these moments.
Bible Verses About Trusting God In The Storm
Here are some of my favorite Bible verses about faith in hard times, to help you get through the storm. Try using these in your prayers, place your name in each one and let them, minister to your soul as you remember that He is God in the storm.
- “When you go through deep waters, I will be with you.” Isaiah 43:2 NLT
- “Commit your way to the Lord. Trust in Him, and He will act.” Psalm 37:5 ESV
- “I will not cause pain without allowing something new to be born, says the Lord.” Isaiah 66:9 NCV
- “He will cover you with His feathers, and under His wings, you will find refuge; His faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.” Psalm 91:4 NIV
- “My soul finds rest in God alone, my salvation comes from Him, He alone is my rock and my salvation.” Psalm 62:1-2
- “For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11 NIV
The One Who Is God In The Storm, Is Your Protector
When we are going through the storm it can be hard to cling to all of the promises we’ve learned throughout the good days. But often the storm is used to compound what we learned when everything was going just right. The truth is we need the storms. As uncomfortable and painful as these seasons are in your life, they grow us and stretch us.
They reaffirm what we know in our hearts, for the next time we go through a storm. And give us a solid foundation to say with confidence that He is a God in the storm and He will never abandon us.
Before you go, check these out!