Let’s face it- Life is chaotic now more than ever and it’s more important than ever to hear God’s voice. To actively search it out and make time for Him. When life is overwhelming it’s so easy for us to become disconnected with the only one who can get us through the storms and begin to flounder. We have to be diligent about ensuring that the lifeline remains intact.
The world around us feels so dark these days, our neighborhoods, our country, our world is hurting so much. People are suffering, life is in utter chaos and so many things cry for our attention. But if we aren’t careful we can put too much focus on what is happening around us and let our cups run dry. We have to make sure that as we are the hands and feet of Jesus filling other’s cups, pointing others back to Jesus and meeting the needs of those around us that we are still allowing God to fill ours.
Pin for later!
This post contains affiliate links
Hearing God’s Voice In The Chaos
Hearing God’s voice when we are in the midst of the storm is so important, tucking back into God and listening for His voice is vital. While the storm is raging around us and we can’t see the way out. As Christians every step we take needs to be led by God, we need to be so in tune with Him that it’s like a dance. To do that we need to be able to hear God’s Voice.
Why It’s Important To Hear God’s Voice
Hearing God’s voice is important because it’s our lifeline, the thing that should direct every choice and every step in our lives. When that line is severed by the chaos and craziness surrounding us we are often left flailing around in the dark, and hopelessness begins to creep in.
We need Him to speak peace into the chaos and hope into our storms. Speak life into our broken places, and healing into the places we’ve thought were too far gone. It’s so much more than just helping us decide the big choices, it’s stepping into the little ordinary moments, the moments we feel absolutely overwhelmed or hopeless and drawing us close.
Bible Verses About Hearing God’s Voice
- So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ. Romans 10:13 ESV
- Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known. Jerimiah 33:3 ESV
- And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “This is the way, walk in it,” when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left. Isaiah 30:21 ESV
- I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you. Be not like a horse or a mule, without understanding, which must be curbed with bit and bridle, or it will not stay near you. Psalm 32:8-9 ESV
- Let me hear what God the Lord will speak, for he will speak peace to his people, to his saints; but let them not turn back to folly. Psalm 85:8 ESV
- For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. Hebrews 4:12 ESV
- Because he bends down to listen, I will pray as long as I have breath! Psalm 116:2 NLT
How To Hear God’s Voice
Hearing God’s voice isn’t a step by step process, it’s a bit of journey of drawing nearer to God and then opening the door for Him to speak. We have to prepare our hearts, and then swing the doors wide for Him.
Hearing Gods Voice: 3 Ways To Help You Hear His Voice
Hearing God’s voice is usually not an auditable thing, so in the midst of the chaos we are going through it can be so easy to miss it. It’s so important that we make time to not only hear God’s voice but allow Him to direct our steps, here are some ways that you can do that:
- Adjust your focus – What we focus on has so much power, if we are focusing on the chaos, on the storm, on the darkness that surrounds us then it will be that much harder to hear God’s voice.
- Get into the church – fellowship with other believers can help shift your focus and draw you closer to Him.
- Turn on worship music and worship your savior – Worship is the best way I know to shift my focus back to Jesus and away from my problem.
- Read your bible – when you read your Bible you aren’t just adjusting your focus but opening the door to Him.
- Learn to decipher God’s voice from the noise around you.
- Prayer is the best way to decipher God’s voice from the chaos. [Struggling with consistently praying? Try a prayer garden.]
- Get in your Bible.
- Spend time with strong believers that can mentor you.
- Set aside time to spend with God – You have to be super intentional about spending time with God when you want to hear God’s voice.
- Hearing God’s Voice is all the harder if you aren’t making time to listen.
- Don’t know how to spend time with God? Read your Bible, spend time in prayer, invest in a good devotional, draw closer to Him.
Hearing God’s Voice In The Storm
I don’t know about you but hearing God in the storm, brings me instant peace. I was sitting on the floor in front of my window the other night -a favorite spot of mine because I can see the stars twinkling and the fireflies flashing through the trees and it just reminds me that no matter how dark it seems God is still in control- and I was struck by the fact that stars shine the brightest in the darkest skies.
My friend no matter how dark it seems, or powerful the storm or overwhelming the chaos feels. Your God is still present, still hears you, still loves you, and is still in control. I encourage you when hearing God’s voice is a struggle to pull back a little, readjust your focus, and find some quiet time to spend with Him. You won’t regret it.
Before you go, check these out!
- How To Surrender Our Plans And Let God Lead
- Holding On To God When Life Brings Us To Our Knees
- God In The Storm – 6 Powerful Ways To Trust God When The Flood Waters Rise
- Let Go Of The Past And Allow God To Redeem It