Wanting to make your own cleaner but don’t know where to start? Let us teach you how to make vinegar cleaner, this is one of our favorite cleaners to make and use around the Cottage because it’s safe and easy to make.
Pin for later!
This post contains affiliate links
Why Make Your Own Vinegar Cleaner?
Have you ever gone to the store for an all-purpose cleaner and couldn’t find what you were looking for? Or maybe you were looking for a more natural option to use around your family so you aren’t exposing them to harmful chemicals. That’s why! This easy vinegar cleaner is all-natural, free of harmful chemicals so you can feel confident using this around your family and even pets.
Does Homemade Vinegar Cleaner Work?
Yes! This homemade vinegar cleaner absolutely does work! How?
- Vinegar is a natural disinfectant – It has antibacterial properties, kills mold, and even repels ants! (Want to know what else you can use vinegar for? Try these household uses for vinegar!
- Citrus contains d-limonene which is a natural solvent that cuts through grease and dirt.
- Depending on where you plant to use this cleaner you can also add things like Cinnamon sticks (cinnamon oil kills mosquito larvae) or vanilla beans (this repels flies).
Is Vinegar Cleaner Safe To Use Around The House?
Because vinegar is free of harmful chemicals you can use it all around the house, and even too spray down the inside your chicken coop to kill bacteria. Things like bleach can react to the manure in your coop and cause harmful gasses to build up in your chicken coop. You don’t have to worry about that with this homemade cleaner.
Be careful using this spray on granite countertops, the acid in the vinegar can damage your counters [read more about types of countertops to see if it can be used on yours].
How To Make Vinegar Cleaner
How to make vinegar cleaner is a really easy process, with just a few supplies that you can often find around your house.
What You Need To Make Vinegar Cleaner
How to make vinegar cleaner, begins with gathering the ingredients and supplies:
- Two Cinnamon Sticks
- 4 Oranges (you can switch this out for 2 grapefruit or even limes or lemons)
- 1 Bottle of White Vinegar
- Glass jar with a plastic lid (the vinegar will eat through a metal lid and leave it rusty, so you want to make sure to always use a plastic lid).
- Spray bottle
Making A Natural Cleaner
Peel the citrus and place in the jar or jars you’ll be using to make this vinegar cleaner so that the jar is half full. Break the cinnamon sticks in half and drop them in the jar. If you are adding any extra ingredients add them now. Top the jars with vinegar until full.
Secure the lids on top of the jars and leave in a dark place for about a month. Shake the contents every few days to stir the contents. The vinegar cleaner should begin to turn an orange-tan color and smell fragrant.
When the vinegar cleaner is finished strain the mixture. You can use this cleaner full strength or dilute it by filling a spray bottle 1/2 full and topping with water.
What Is The Best Vinegar For Cleaning?
While apple cider vinegar is amazing, you should really use white vinegar to make homemade cleaners. Apple Cider Vinegar can attract fruit-flies and is more expensive than plain white vinegar.
Before you go, check these out!
- DIY Grapefruit Seed Extract Cleaner
- How To Make Laundry Soap
- Citrus All-Purpose Cleaner
- How To Save Money On Fabric Softener
7 thoughts on “How To Make Vinegar Cleaner -Safe, Natural All Purpose Cleaner”
This is a great recipe! Thanks for the tip about the granite countertops. I didn’t realize that.
Thank you! You’re welcome!
Wishing you A Blessed,Joyous and A HAPPY EASTER
Thank you hun! Happy Easter!
this is lovely
Is it the fruit peel that is used or the fruit without the peel that should be used?
It’s the peels that should be used