Mulligatawny Soup Origins
Mulligatawny Soup is a British curried lentil dish. It has it’s history in India, when India was British occupied version of their dish that was watered down to be able to serve the required soup course for the British stationed there.
We wanted to make a hearty soup for lunch and found a recipe for Mulligatawny Soup but just used what we had and captured the essence of the soup but not exactly what was called for. This is a great way to make a meal when your fridge is getting bare at the end of the week or you have a lot of left overs and want to make a dish with them. I hope you enjoy this as much as we did. The original recipe called for a blended soup but we decided to make a chunky soup. You can easily make it a creamy soup by using your immersion blender or you normal blender.
What You Will Need
- Stock pot
- Long handled spoon
- Immersion blender or normal blender or normal blender (If desired, we chose not to)
Mulligatawny Soup Recipe
We started with 2 quarts of bone broth we chose beef because that is what we had. You often see it with chicken stock but can have vegetable, or even lamb.To that, we added 1 quart of chopped tomatoes in their juices.
1/2 cup of chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped sweet peppers
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 – 1 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/4 – 1/2 tsp dash or two of cumin (to your taste)
dash of coriander
1 Tbsp snipped fresh parsley (can substitute for dry parsley)
2 cups of chopped cooked chicken or other chopped meat (if desired)
1 medium cooking apple chopped (1 cup)
1/2 cup of green peas
5 mushrooms chopped (not in original Mulligatawny but we love mushrooms) and sauteed in
grass fed butter.
1/4 cup dry lentils
cayenne pepper or black pepper to taste
Celtic Sea Salt 3/4 tsp. Or to taste
In large pan put broth, tomatoes, onion, apple, carrot, celery, peas, parsley, peppers, lemon juice, sugar, mushrooms, dry lentils, turmeric, ground cloves, 3/4 tsp Celtic Sea Salt, coriander, cumin, and a dash of pepper or cayenne to taste with your chopped chicken, beef or lamb. Can also just be made with only vegetables and taste wonderful. We brought it to a boil and reduced heat. Cover your soup and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Makes soup for 6 to 8 people.
Print your own Mulligatawny Soup Recipe
- 2 quarts of beef bone broth (lamb broth or chicken stock.)
- 1 quart of chopped tomatoes in their juices.
- 1/2 cup of chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet peppers
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 – 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp dash or two of cumin (to your taste)
- dash of coriander
- 1 Tbsp snipped fresh parsley (can substitute for dry parsley)
- 2 cups of chopped cooked chicken or other chopped meat (if desired)
- 1 medium cooking apple chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup of green peas
- 5 mushrooms chopped (not in original Mulligatawny but we love mushroomand sauteed in
- grass fed butter.
- 1/4 cup dry lentils
- cayenne pepper or black pepper to taste
- Celtic Sea Salt 3/4 tsp. Or to taste
Before you go, check these out