Today we are sharing with you a blueberry pie recipe. This one looks like it is ready for Independence Day as the crust is made of flaky and buttery stars and peeking out the filling of sweet juicy blueberries.
Independence Day is right around the corner, for the last week we’ve sat in the backyard watching the neighbors fireworks. Independence day is a lot like Christmas for this family, every year we fire up the grill and put together a delicious meal, hang out in the yard playing games and finally as the sun sets behind the horizon we pull out the fireworks.
Mr. Cottage is a bit extravagant in this department- we always know when the first tent opens its doors each season. Usually, we girls have to go with him so he doesn’t go overboard, think a kid in a candy store or a bookworm in the library, this is Mr. Cottage at the firework tents. His eyes grow large, and somewhere in the back of my head, I can see Mr. Toad from The Wind In The Willows when he first sees an automobile. As he sits in the dirt after nearly being run over he stares wide-eyed after it saying “poooot poooot” like the horn of the car. So you see Mr. Cottage is a bit of a firework monster.
Though I can’t say I’m exactly innocent in this department either, I am an unashamed firework-alcoholic. At the first pop, I am out the door and racing to find the best view. What can I say? I love fireworks!
4th of July can be so busy! Trust me we understand, so we thought we would share with you this easy blueberry pie recipe that you can take with you to all your festivities. Not overly sweet with a delicious flaky crust this is the perfect patriotic addition to your feast. By the way, this is absolutely amazing with fresh vanilla ice cream!
What you will need:
Free Range Egg
2 Bags Frozen Blueberries
Related Article: Patriotic Berry Trifle
In a medium size, bowl combine flour and salt. Slice butter thinly and toss into flour, work with your fingers until crumbly. Add water tablespoon at a time while mixing until it forms a ball. Roll out on parchment paper and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours. Lay dough across the pie pan (roll dough bigger if necessary). Trim away excess dough.
Related Article: All American Recipe Roundup
Blueberry Pie Recipe
What you will need:
- 2 Pie Crusts (find recipe below)
- Blueberry Filling (recipe below)
- Star Shaped Cookie Cutter
- Pie pan
- Free Range Egg
- Parchment Papert
- Cookie Sheet
- 2 Bags Frozen Blueberries
- 4 Tablespoons Tapioca Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Grass-fed Butter
- 1/4 Cup Organic Raw Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 1/4 Cups Organic All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Himilian Pink Salt
- 1/3 Cups Grass-fed Butter
- 3-4 Tablespoons Cold Water
- In a saucepan over medium heat, mix tapioca flour, sugar, and water until smooth.
- Add half the blueberries. Bring to a boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and add butter, lemon juice, and remaining berries.
- Stir until butter is melted and allow to cool.
- In a medium size, bowl combine flour and salt.
- Slice butter thinly and toss into flour, work with your fingers until crumbly.
- Add water tablespoon at a time while mixing until it forms a ball.
- Roll out on parchment paper and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Lay dough across the pie pan (roll dough bigger if necessary). Trim away excess dough.
- Pour blueberries over the bottom crust.
- Cut stars out of the second pie crust (try to keep them all the same thicknesand layer them around the edges of your pie.
- Press them gently against the edge of the pan and each other to secure them in place.
- Brush egg whites over the top.
- Place on a cookie sheet, dome foil over the top of the pie and bake at 450 for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and return to the oven for 5-10 minutes.
By the way, if you love that galvanized cake plate as much as we do and you just have to have one for your collection stop by World Market! Fair warning shopping at this store may cause an unstoppable addiction that there is no cure for, proceed at your own risk.
Leave us a comment telling us what you thought and your Independence Day plans! Happy Birthday, America!
This article contains affiliate links. Affiliate links cost you nothing extra but help to support the Rosevine Cottage Girls so we can continue bringing you recipes, travel posts, garden and farm posts and so much more.
Before you go check out these recipes